Saturday, August 29, 2015

Cultivate the Sabai-ness in you




Sabai in Thai means relaxation- that peaceful feeling that we often miss in the big city life.

Now, is there a way to be constantly feeling sabai, or is it a feeling only associated with weekends and holidays...?

I remember in my previous job, I constantly felt stressed, even on weekends. I was always thinking of deadlines, problems that had to be solved, performance evaluations that I had to pass, and managers to satisfy. It was a hectic life, and soon had its toll on my physical and emotional health.

Yet, slowly, I started to think of ways to bring inner peace into my life. In a city like Cairo, where everything is so grey, noisy and polluted, it's hard to find that inner peace. But I started cultivating it slowly inside of me and to create a peace zone that I can always resort to when everything goes so wrong.

My room became my sanctuary...I filled it with photos to remind me of good memories, books that take me to another worlds, and small candles with scents to light when I'm meditating.

I also carried with me a "purse of joy" whenever I went. It's a tradition I kept since 2011 when my life was so hard. I decided to carry very little things that bring happiness into my dark moments. These were simply my rosary, a blue crystal, a photo and my mp3 filled with happy and soothing music.

So, when life gets a little bit tough, grey or noisy...just find a quiet place, light your happy scented candles, turn on your soothing music, and close your eyes and surrender to the sabainess in you.

Namaste! 

No comments:

Post a Comment