Friday, August 28, 2015

Questions that Matter





I just came back from a heavenly two-week meditation retreat at Mooktawan Sanctuary in Thailand, organized by Peace Revolution Org and Dhammakaya Foundation. It was the first time for me to come this close to the Buddhist philosophy in life, since I live in the Middle East region that doesn't practice Buddhism. I was blown away by the values and practices of Buddhism that revolve around loving kindness, detachment from worldly pleasures,and stillness of the mind to be able to find the Dhamma or truth inside of you.

At the first week of the retreat, my mind was trying to resist some of the teachings, as being a follower of Jesus' teachings, I was afraid of conflicts that may arise. However, smoothly and gradually, I started to listen, to think and to reflect on every single word and messages behind the words. I sat after every meditation and lecture to ponder on the teachings, and the similarities between Buddha and Jesus' teachings struck me. I found that religions in general are trying to answer the following questions:

*The purpose of life "What are we living for...?"

* What is the truth or "the way of Life"? And how can we discipline the body, mind and soul to reach this truth or the joys of the spiritual realm?

* How can humanity awaken from the "hypnosis" of material life, and achieve enlightenment?

* What will happen after this life? What is death?

* What is good, and what is evil?

* How can humanity break free from the sufferings and pain of material life (Nibbana)?

* How can we share love, wisdom and knowledge with all mankind without discrimination?


There are many more questions, but I believe those are the core questions that humanity tries to find answers for in whatever spiritual or religious path they follow. For me, mindfulness starts with thinking about these questions as they provide the essence of life, the foundation for all our values, attitudes, thoughts and actions. Some people choose to ignore those questions because it is a painful and daunting process, and proceed in their lives with no clear destination. And others spend their whole lives looking for answers. 

Eventually, it all starts with a "question" , and the answer will always follow...!

No comments:

Post a Comment