Monday, September 21, 2015

Turning Dilemmas into Discoveries: The Emotional Baggage






You know that place that holds so much childhood memories- bad and good- that sometimes it becomes a burden to be in that place.. that street..that person who is connected to your childhood somehow- maybe your parents or a bother or a friend.

Once you step into that place or you see that person, you instantly go back in time and see yourself as the 7 years old shy girl, or the 12 years old angry boy. Well, not all childhood memories are happy you know!

I have an issue with certain places and certain people because they remind of an unhappy period in my life, or an incident that I want to forget about. There are things which I can avoid, but other things I have to deal with on a daily basis...and on a daily basis, I find myself going back in time to that young fearful girl. I tried different techniques, from self-talk to "fake it until you make it." but nothing really worked out. I still related to these places and people in a negative way.

Until I had that revelation recently, it was about detachment. The issue lies in attaching these places or people with certain feelings and beliefs, that they become like catalysts stimulating certain feelings or behaviors. The solution was in detachment, seeing that place or event or person with fresh eyes as if it's the first encounter, to rebuild your connection what that thing. It is not an easy process, it requires a lot of exercise, but I found mediation and mindfulness in specific helping me a lot with creating a sense of detachment from familiar things.  I center my mind, recite a mantra and visualize a crystal clear object, and just be there, watching whatever thoughts or feelings that come into the surface without fighting them...I don't fight even the negative feelings like before, I just acknowledge them and let them flow in peace, eventually leaving me as neutral as ever.

And with that, a dilemma turns into a new discovery, and a fresh connection is built with the universe.

Namaste!

No comments:

Post a Comment